I’m Tess Young. Originally from the south coast of England, I’ve lived in Finland, the USA, Scotland and Lancashire, and recently moved to Siena, Italy.
I have taken a sabbatical from pattern designing while we made our international move and then encountered covid-19 and the attendant impacts of living during a pandemic. Instead I found solace in natural dyeing with plants from our garden and have shared this here through a series of blogs posts. Beginning to knit with these naturally dyed yarns has sparked my brain back into designing mode and this is something I’m looking forward to getting back to and sharing with you in 2021.
My work as a knitwear designer has always been inspired by my passions, including the coast, the mountains and cities, combined with a love of textile and ceramic design and architecture. In my designs I aim to marry form with function, mobilising the characteristics of natural materials, underpinned by a strong vintage inspired aesthetic and an attention to detail borrowed from the couture approach to handmade.
My designs have featured in collections by Quince & Co and I have collaborated with Susan Crawford Vintage on a number of projects including the Knits for a Cold Climate Collection and on single patterns for their ever increasing, and always gorgeous yarn ranges.
If you want to collaborate, please do get in touch (there’s a contact form below), especially if you share my passions for breed specific, locally grown, traceable yarns and naturally dyed yarns. I’d love to hear from you.
I can also be found in various places on the internet including:
- Instagram as TessYoungDesignsandMakes
- At my UK Bookshop.org storefront TessYoungDesigns&Makes – as an affiliate I stock my storefront with books I refer to here in my posts and if you buy via the link I provide I get a small percentage of the sale cost at no additional expense to you. More importantly, between us we also support independent bookstores. Each book listed has a mini review and I only list books that I talk about here and recommend. If you have any questions about this, please do contact me via the form below.
- Goodreads as Tess, come and tell me what you’re reading, I’m always looking for recommendations.
- On Ravelry I’m TessVintageKnits but I am currently (Dec 2020) very rarely there, and expect to be even less so once the classic Ravelry interface is retired in March. Ravelry’s re-design triggers my migraines so in practice I have to severely limit my time there. Their response to the impact of their re-design on those who are differently able, have illnesses or limiting conditions, makes me want to steer clear anyway, despite the sense of loss attendant with the withdrawal of this community, which itself has been particularly difficult this year when we’ve been cut off from each other in real life as well.
- In 2020 I started lending via the micro-finance site Kiva which aims to promote financial inclusion globally. Through individual small loans we can collectively support individuals and community groups with limited access to capital to invest in their futures. Loans are made in $25 increments and loan capital can be built up by smaller monthly deposits. You decide to whom, what, and where you lend. This was part of my ‘be the change you want to see in the world’ commitment stimulated by some of the truly awful things that happened in 2020 pre covid.
- I am on Twitter as TessYoung1 although rarely…