Yarn It is an exciting new venture for me. Set up with a friend, we’re developing community knitting/crochet/fibrecrafts projects and collaborations, and have started by offering to organise a knitting and crochet contribution to the International Youth Games here in Lancaster in July this year.
The International Youth Games will bring together approximately 400 young people from Lancaster’s twins towns in France, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and Denmark with local young people for 4 days of sports, dance and music. The Games will open with a procession from the Castle to Market square, and conclude with a closing ceremony. Young people will compete in Athletics, Badminton, Tennis, Table Tennis, Rowing, Golf, Swimming & Karate at venues including, Salt Ayre Sports Centre, Lancaster University, John O’Gaunt Boat Club and Lancaster, Morecambe and Heysham Golf Clubs.
Yarn It wishes to recruit knitters and crocheters to contribute to the International Youth festival through a number of different projects:
- Knitted friendship wristbands – quick and simple garter stitch wristbands – pattern available: Yarn it Youth Games wristband patterns.
- Plaited athlete dolls – ideal for youth groups and children’s groups – photo tutorial available here: Yarn it plaited athletes – a non-plaited version is also shown in case your children or young people struggle with plaiting:
- Crocheted streamers – pattern available Yarn it Crochet streamers
A knitted banner – to be divided into sections so everyone who wants to, can be involved. This will be used in the opening and closing ceremony and at venues – more info to follow.
What support will be offered?
For locally based knitters we can provide the following:
- All materials including Knitting yarn, needles, buttons, toy stuffing will be provided. If you have your own, great, if not, don’t worry, we’ll keep you supplied!
- Patterns for all elements of the project.
- Regular meets ups to get together and share progress and information and plan as necessary – refreshments will be provided at meet ups wherever possible.
For those who are further afield and would like to be involved, the pattersn can all be downloaded by clicking on the links above and please do come and join us in:
- our Ravelry Group: Yarn It & Home from Homelessness where we will keep you updated on progress.
- our Facebook group: Yarn It where you can post up your pictures and progress and keep up with events.
I’ll be back here to keep you updated with how things are going too.
Project participants will also be invited to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and are welcome to spectate at events. All knitters’ & crocheters’ contributions will be fully acknowldged as part of the project and by the local Council.
Yarn It is involved in this project on a voluntary basis with the support of Lancaster City Council. All materials are provided as a result of donations of yarn and needles etc. If you are able to contribute through further donations of yarn, please contact us, your donations will be most welcome.
More about Yarn It:
Facilitated by Tess Young and Debbie Dawson, Yarn It activities aim to:
- Develop and explore fun and interesting ways of bringing yarn and needle crafts into the everyday life of our communities.
- Create inclusive activities, events and projects to bring people together to share their love of needle and yarn crafts.
- Challenge the idea that yarn and needle crafts are indoor, domestic, private, female activities by engaging the wider community and bringing them out into the public domain through yarn bombing and collaborative projects with local events.
We’re keen to work with organisations who would like to incorporate yarn and fibre craft activities into their activities, so please do get in touch.